Ice makers are programmed to freeze water and make ice; hence it is an anomaly for an ice machine not to freeze water.
If you are wondering why your portable ice maker is not freezing water, this article might be of help to you. There are quite a number of reasons why a portable ice maker would stop freezing water.
Here are a number of reasons why your portable ice machine might stop freezing water.
The Power Button
One of the major reasons why your portable ice maker wont freeze water might be because the power button is off. Sometimes you might be so much in a hurry that you forget to turn on the power button, it is funny but it is true.
- Solution: To be sure, ensure to plug the unit into a functioning power source and then turn on the power button.
Temperature of Water
Using hot water to make ice might not be an entirely great idea. A portable ice maker would find it pretty hard to freeze hot water as it has to first cool the water before freezing it, stressing the ice machine and making the whole ice making process extremely slow.
- Solution: Avoid using hot water in your ice machine, use cold water instead.
Temperature of the Room/Atmosphere
Also, if you are using the portable ice maker outdoor or under high temperature, it might affect the whole ice making process and either slow down or stop the freezing process.
- Solution: To resolve this issue, ensure to keep the ice maker away from direct sunlight.
Ice Basket is Full
Another probable reason why your portable ice maker would not freeze water might be because the ice basket is filled up. Once the ice basket of a portable ice maker is filled up, it automatically stops making ice until the ready-made ice is offloaded to create space for more ice.
- Solution: Offload ice basket
Blockage of the Water Line
Portable ice makers feature water lines that helps to carry water from the reservoir to the back of the unit where the water would be frozen. When the water line is blocked, the ice maker won’t be able to freeze water as there would be no water to freeze in the first place.
- Solution: To resolve this issue, you can consult the user manual that came with the ice machine for help. Also, via the manual, you can also try to figure out where the water line is, remove it and see if anything is blocking the water line, then use warm water to wash the line.
Level of Water in the Reservoir
When there is insufficient water in the water reservoir, there would be almost nothing to freeze. Low level of water in the reservoir can stop the ice maker from freezing water.
- Solution: Hence, ensure that you check the level of water in the reservoir to see if you have enough, if otherwise fill up the reservoir appropriately.
If your ice machine is still not freezing water after doing all we have advised in this article, you should seek for professional help or get a new ice maker.