Portable ice makers are not essentially built to keep ice frozen, they work differently from freezers in that they make fast ice cubes but they don’t keep the ice made frozen. However, they feature insulated ice compartments that enable the slow melting of ice.
The melted ice finds its way back to the water reservoir and would be used to make another round of ice.
Different portable ice makers have different ranges of ice keeping time, some are enabled to keep ice for a longer time than others. Portable ice makers can keep ice frozen for a while so long as it possesses the required features to do this.
Some of these features include:
- Good Insulating Properties: A portable ice maker with good insulating properties help the keeping quality of ice produced. This is especially important if you don’t plan to use the ice immediately. The insulator works effectively keeping your ice fresh and helping it to last longer.
- Great Compressor: Portable ice makers with a highly efficient compressor have good refrigeration qualities and makes good quality ice that lasts longer. Also, the compressor would enable it to work as quietly as possible, not make disturbing sounds while making ice. This has the advantage of consuming less energy.
- Good Enough Warranty: As the ice machine loses its efficiency, it would begin to affect the quality of ice that it would produce. Hence, portable ice machines with good warranty essentially last longer, when the ice machine is in good shape, it works efficiently, making good quality ice.
- Water Filters: Untreated or unfiltered water has inherent minerals and sediments that can affect the quality of ice produced and also reduce the working efficiency of the ice machine. Water filters help to remove impurities and sediments from water used to make ice and good quality ice would generally last longer.
- Light Indicators: A lot of portable ice makers feature light Indicators that alerts you when the ice basket is full, so you can offload the ice quickly.
Below are some additional tips that would help your ice to last longer without keeping it in the freezer:
- Ensure not to fill the water reservoir beyond the limit. If the water reservoir is too full, water might sleep into the ice basket and make the ice cubes to melt quickly
- Clean the ice machine regularly
- Make the quantity of ice that you would need per time
- Change your water filters at least once every year
- Get a good quality portable ice maker with a good warranty.
- Keep the lid of the ice machine tightly shut always.
- During summer, make large-sized cubes, it would last longer
- Keep ice cubes away from direct sunlight while on summer trips
If you need to keep your ice for a long period, you might want to keep the ice in a freezer. Portable ice makers cannot preserve ice for too long. However, a portable ice maker with great insulating properties and compressors should help you preserve your ice for a considerable while.